Planning for a Kitchen Reno

I have hated our kitchen since we first walked through our house 7 years ago. Good space, sure, but it needed work. The ceramic tile flooring that previous owners put in was done poorly. The honey oak cabinets were showing their age. The laminate countertops were a faux green marble. Soffits/bulkheads adorned the tops of the cabinets, sadly. I saw potential, but I also saw dollar signs.. or, if I had an emoji handy, the one with the money flying away.

Luckily, though, kitchen renovations are expensive, and so are babies; so when we promptly had the Tiny Overlords, all my kitchen plans got side tracked.

However, these days, DH and I are seriously throwing around talk of getting new cabinets, countertops, and flooring. I am figuratively on cloud nine, y'all.

Here we have the 2 "vision boards" (?) I made with inspiration for the kitchen:

White Cabinets

Dark Cabinets
I've been so gung ho about a white kitchen for years now that I hate to even consider the darker cabinets, but the price is so much better with the darker cabinets that I'm entertaining it.. but let's be honest, I'm 99% sold on white cabinets. DH doesn't care, but he leans a little more towards the darker cabinets. Ultimately, if he has adequate island space for meal prep (he loves to cook), he's good.

Yesterday, I picked up sample tiles of the flooring in the white cabinet vision board. DH and I both really love it, and we're considering tiling the kitchen floor in a herringbone pattern. We'll see.

We're waiting for sample doors of the white and espresso cabinets to come in later this week so we can see the quality. We would be buying RTA (ready to assemble) kitchen cabinets and hiring a family friend who does kitchens and bathrooms to come in and install everything.

Either way, it looks like the kitchen reno is happening this year. Worst case scenario, I'm at least getting a new damn floor, and I'll giggle with glee as I smash the ceramic tile flooring that's in there now. You have no idea how much I loathe that floor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment